From 1992 until 2000 a considerable amount of repair and reordering work was carried out at St Peter’s. This work included: Timber repairs to South Aisle roof, Clock Chamber and other Tower floors, and the Tower roof was rebuilt. The valley gutter between the South Aisle and the Nave has been relaid.
The interior of the Chancel was re-rendered in 1999 with new soakaways and external drainage being provided. The Nave walls have been treated against damp. Nave and Aisle floors have been repaired and the 15th century pews repaired. A new ceiling has been put in the Western Porch.
St Peter’s Church, despite the restorations, has a remarkable set of fixtures and fittings. The most notable are as follows:
The Nave retains a magnificent set of mediaeval oak pews reputed to dated from circa 1422 to 1461.
The oak chests date from the 15th century and 17th century.
Outer western door of 1731 which retains the Sanctuary knocker. This door has had an additional layer of timber added externally to preserve the original structure.
Brasses to Isabelle and Henry Purdon 1523, John Shadhert 1527.
Notable monuments include Johannes Lloyd 1663, John Merest 1752 and Reverend Edward Emily 1792.
Find out more about the Stained Glass.